Saturday, February 4, 2012

Eats, drinks, and views

Ok, I will attempt to recap our adventures since Tuesday, if for no other reason than documentation so I can remember it later!

Let's see...Wednesday morning we explored the Presidio, including the SF National Cemetary, and stumbled upon the lobby of the LucasArts headquarters, which is full of Star Wars memorabilia, including the life sized statue of Darth Vader you saw Tim posing with in the last post.

We meandered over to Crissy Field from there, which is an old airfield that has been converted into a national park. It sits on the bay in front of the Presidio and goes all the way to the base of the Golden Gate Bridge. When we got under the bridge, we saw some guys surfing in the water. I took a very cool video, but I can't post videos from my phone, so I will put it up after we are home. In the photo below that was taken at the base of the bridge, look closely and you will see the surfers in the water. The whole Crissy Field area was so special because it gives SPECTACULAR views in every direction! I don't even know how to adequately put it into words. Hopefully Tim's HQ photos will do it justice, but honestly, you really have to just see it for yourself.



After Crissy Field, we made a quick pass through the Mission District and, ironically, had some of the best pizza either of us has ever tasted at Pizzeria Delfina. Prosciutto, arthichoke, mozzarella, and some other stuff we couldn't pronounce but enjoyed thoroughly! Since we are on vacation, and since SF is such a food haven, we ate an early pizza dinner and went over to the edge of Chinatown for a second late dinner at the highly regarded House of Nanking. This is why Tim looks so happy in the pizza picture and so full in the Chinese food picture (which for some reason Blogger won't let me rotate -- argh!).



We began yesterday by walking the streets of Chinatown. Saw a huge display of "Wacky Wobblers" (bobble head dolls), so I took a photo for Uncle Don and posted it below.




By lunchtime, we had made our way over to the Ferry Building for the Thursday farmers' market. This was one of my favorite parts of the week -- so much delicious food! By the time we were done, between the 2 of us we'd eaten a grilled pancetta and cheese sandwich, 2 gourmet donuts, an empanada, a chocolate cupcake, a pork taco, and a fish taco. And it was all SO yummy!



After our graze-fest, we wandered around the Embarcadero and then headed out for our Alcatraz night tour. First, let me clarify that we did not choose the night tour because we thought it would be spookier (although I guess it was). We chose the night tour because it promised excellent views of the city and the bridges at sunset. And it did NOT disappoint! Again, I cannot convey how awestruck we were to see such beauty all around us! I have another video from there that I will post later too.





After our cruise was over, we grabbed a bite to eat at the Fog City Diner, and then Tim somehow talked me into a return trip back to the Buena Vista for an irish coffee (or two) to warm us up after our freezing night on Alcatraz.

Today we ran around to try and squeeze in a few last items on our "to do" list. Saw the Painted Ladies in Alamo Square (the houses from the opening of Full House), walked through Haight-Ashbury, got yet another breathtaking -- not to mention vertigo-inducing -- view of the city from the top of Twin Peaks, and had lunch in the Castro. Also squeezed in a quick tropical fruity drink at The Tonga Room before a scrumptious dinner at Marlowe, and then a second visit to Rose Pistola in North Beach to have the same dessert we enjoyed on our first night here, the chocolate budino. I can already tell I will be spending the next few weeks trying to determine the exact recipe so I can make it at home!






Okay, if you read through all of that, here is your photographic reward. Just remember, the truly amazing pics will come once we look at what Tim has on his good camera. If these are only pics taken with a phone, I can't wait to see the better ones!

Tomorrow we fly home. We are sad that our wonderful week has come to an end, but it sure will be nice to get hugs from the kiddos when we get home!

1 comment:

M said...

Wow! You and Tim take the kind of vacations Don likes......not one idle moment in the day. You took some great pictures, Amanda.